New to the Walk?
No parent can ever be prepared to learn that their child has type 1 diabetes (T1D). A T1D diagnosis can often feel incredibly overwhelming and isolating. But it doesn’t have to be that way.
By attending the Sun Life Walk to Cure Diabetes for JDRF, your family will have the chance to connect with the T1D community in your area, meet other families living with T1D and share experiences with others who “just get it”. Most importantly, the Walk provides an opportunity for kids to meet other kids living with T1D, and maybe even make a “diabuddy” to help them feel less alone on their journey with T1D.
Here’s what you need to know about attending your first Walk:
- We encourage families to register as a Team, inviting friends and other family members to join in support.
- Teams often create their own T-Shirts, proudly wearing these to the event
- Most Walk sites will provide options for light refreshments or options to purchase food. You can also BYOP – Bring Your Own Picnic – and make a fun, family day out of the event
- Check the weather forecast ahead of your Walk and be prepared for rain or shine
- Depending on your community, the Walk varies between 3-5km
- Most Walk sites will have activities for children, and some may have entertainment too
- Some Walk sites will have a “New Families” Tent where you will be able to meet other new families
- To learn more about the Walk in your community, visit your Location page for more details or reach out to us at email@example.com or via phone at 1.877.505.5373.
- Don’t see your community listed? Register to Walk Your Way and gather as a Team on Walk Day. Sunday June 12, 2022
- First time as a Team Captain? Check out our Team Captain Guide to help you understand this critical role
Ongoing supports offered by JDRF
JDRF is here for you. Whether it’s helping you navigate a new T1D diagnosis, providing resources on managing life with T1D or connecting you with members of the T1D community who share similar experiences – JDRF wants to make sure you never feel alone. Learn more at https://www.jdrf.ca/support/.